Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What is the difference.....

How many of you remember the old saying, Q: "What is the difference between a recession and a depression? A: A recession is when your neighbor loses his job, and a depression is when you lose your job." Well... I hate to say it but I will be officially in a depression come January. :(

Qimonda has decided to shut down the 200mm fab and lay off all the workers who are currently working there. There is a chance that I will be able to get another job in the 300mm fab, but that is still up in the air.

I remember a year ago when Intel was doing its lay off that I had to go through, we were saying that in a year we should all get together and see how everyone is doing. We were wondering if people would be better off by getting layed off, or still being able to keep their job. It's a year later, and it looks like I'm not better off... that is with my professional life. A whole year has gone by, and I'm right back where I was.

Everyone's first question is if Whitney and I are going to move back to New Mexico. Well, right now, no. We haven't even lived in this house for a year yet,and with the housing market the way it is, we would lose a stack of Benjamin's. So, I am going to first concentrate on finding another job here in Virginia. But, if a really good job comes along back west, we would consider moving.

At times like this, it just makes me more thankful for all of our friends and family. Also, it reminds me of how blessed I am to have Whitney for a wife, and Molly for my wonderful daughter.

No comments: