The last time my dad came to town, he dropped off what we call the old "Toy Coffin." This is a big wooden chest that has been like a time capsule containing a lot of old toys that belonged to my sister and me when we were kids...great Fisher-Price toys like Sesame Street, Castle, House, Village, Airport, Daycare and so on. There are also a lot of stuffed animals and dolls from the 70's and 80's too.
Every now and then, I bring out one "new" toy for Molly to play with. So far, she's only received the Sesame Street and the latest are the Castle and Daycare. She loves surprises so much that we make a big deal for her to close her eyes and we count to three, building up the suspense and when we finally say "open your eyes!", she is so excited...she almost always breathes out a "WOW!" and immediately starts playing with the old/new toy. It warms my heart and soul to see her enjoying the very same toys that I used to play with for so long when my sister and I were kids.
She has such a vivid imagination. Hours later, after the surprise should wear off...she's still there creating little dramas and scenes for the little toy people. I hear things like "oh dear...are you ok.?...yes, I'm o.k...what happened...i don't know...i fell...let's play on the swing...ok...yay!..that's fun...go again?...it's so much fun...i know...."
It goes on for hours and I smile to myself. Old toys getting a second chance with a new kid...I love that.
No comments:
Post a Comment