Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cock-a-Doodle Doo! Where are you?

Here he is!  He was in OUR backyard!

For a few days, we'd been hearing a rooster crowing early in the morning.  Yesterday, as I was getting ready for work, I heard it again long before 7am.  I went out into the backyard and tried to pin point where it was coming from and was perturbed that someone in town would have chickens and roosters in our neighborhood.  Was it going to be like this, with a rooster crowing at dawn ... forever?

Dan took this one yesterday while the rooster was in the tree.


Well, later that morning, while at work, I got a quick text from Dan saying:  "The rooster is in OUR yard!"  Oh, great, our neighbors must think it's ours and they hate US.  We didn't see or hear from him all day, so we thought he must be gone.  Wrong!

About 4am or so this morning, I heard it again...and it continued until Dan got home at 7:30 from his night shift.  We let Lizzie out for her morning bathroom break.  Once she locked her sights onto the invading critter, her herding skills came into play.  She very well could have caught that rooster, but instead, she chased him in circles until he flew up to the roof and on to the front yard and back to the direction of the home we think he came from a block away.

Thank you Miss Lizzie!


I've since posted a note onto our neighborhood message board and seems as though this bird is very well known around here with comments like:  "He lives on McFee where the barns are...loves to crow at 4am ugh..."  "We were just talking about him at the bus stop this morning...."  and "He lives right behind us and we've been listening to them for months...."

Well, I hope he finds his way back home again.  The distant crowing of a rooster is nice.  When it shatters your sleep, coming from your own backyard....somehow it loses its country charm.




No comments: