Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Reading in the box



A few weeks ago, Molly emptied out her little toy box, got inside with a book and began to read. It was pretty cute. I'm telling you, this kid loves to read. She is beginning to recognize letters and call them out. Her favorite shows are of course, "Sesame Street", and also "Super Why" and "Word World" on PBSkids each morning. We feel she is really learning from these types of shows. She is captivated by the images, music and characters and jumps with delight when they come on. Hey, if she loves them and is learning, that's more than alright with us.



We've also found that she loves "Wheel of Fortune." She tends to only buy the vowels "O" and "E" at this point, but she's catching on. The clapping and clicking of the wheel makes her laugh and shout out "Yay!" These are noises that used to annoy me, but since she loves them, I do too. Other letters that she is beginning to recognize are "B", "T" and "N." I'm amazed by her learning.

I like to sing the Alphabet Song to her a lot. She seems to enjoy it and I figured, what more important song can a toddler learn right now? It's the basis for every word in the language she's absorbing and learning each day, right?

I alternate the ABC song with one that I made up using that same tune. I sing it to her as a lullaby at night.

"I love Molly and Molly loves me,
She's as sweet as a baby can be.
She's got eyes that are so blue,
Does she know how I love her too?
I love Molly and Molly loves me,
She's as sweet as a baby can be."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so cute and looks so much like Whitney! - C. Jurca

Whitney & Dan said...

Why thank you Carolyn! :)