Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Reading Books

Books are becoming more and more interesting to Molly as she gets older. It's more than just turning the chunky pages or staring at the colors or shapes. The recognition of letters interests her and in time, these clusters of letters are going to start turning into words and then sentences.

Each night after brushing her teeth, getting into her pajamas and a final diaper change or attempt at the potty, it's time for her favorite book. It is "Lullaby Moon" by Rosie Reeve. Tonight, as I was shutting off the tv and lights downstairs, I became aware of the chatter going on behind me...it was Molly reciting nearly that whole book from memory. She recited several lines from it perfectly as she was playing with her doll and some toys between the couch and ottoman. All I could see was the top of her head as she played then she raised up and smiled at me saying: "Ready go upstairs, Mommy, ready go?" If that's not a sign of bedtime, then I don't know what is.

Here is the text from her favorite book, that she now has emblazoned upon her memory. If you want to be her hero...learn it and recite it with her sometime. She will think you are magical.

--------------------------------------------

Shadows are falling, the sun says goodbye.
Softly the moon rises into the sky.
Slowly we wander home, too tired to play.
Sun-kissed and happy from our lovely day.
The silvery stream sings a rippling tune,
Sparkling under the lullaby moon.
Fireflies dance in the velvety night,
Leading us home with their shimmering light.
With warm cups of milk, we chatter away
About all the things that we've done today.
We cuddle up close in our favorite chair.
There are so many magical stories to share!
Happy and cozy, we climb into bed.
Soon you'll be snuggled up, my sweet sleepyhead.
Outside the window, the moon glimmers bright,
Shining down, smiling down, all through the night.
With one last kiss, angel, you'll be asleep soon,
So, whisper goodnight to the lullaby moon.



Here she is reading a few of her other books last week.

"Purple cat, purple cat, what do you see? I see a white dog looking at me. White dog, white dog, what do you see? I see a black sheep looking at me. Black sheep, black sheep, what do you see? I see a goldfish looking at me. Goldfish, goldfish, what do you see?..." It is worth noting here that she is saying the next animal without seeing the picture first...just the words. Is the memory working here or is she beginning to actually read? Interesting.


"2H 2I 2R 2Q 2P 2O 2W 2X 2Y 2Z 2U 2T 2S" Look at that mess!


Ok, now in this one, I have NO idea what she's saying. Somehow, we're making a big interesting story out of an alphabet book. We speak English only here in this house. Where she learning whatever foreign sounding lingo that is, I do not have a clue...but I love the lyrical way it sounds.

It's been fun to watch her develop the basic skills of reading and speaking. All it really takes is to be involved in her life, take an interest in reading to her daily and probably the most important thing is to just talk to her and listen to what she has to say in return. The lights are all on in this child's head and she's only just begun to shine so bright.

No comments: