Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

True Character

I've heard it said that a person's "True Character" shows when they think no one is looking.  Sometimes though, it is shown when everyone is looking.

The other night, Molly's school had a little music / graduation program and all the kids' parents and families were there to see the kids sing the songs they've been practicing for weeks.  Molly had been so excited, singing these songs over and over almost constantly.  We've been practicing here at home and then they've been working on them at school during music time.

Here is a video I took of the kids on Monday morning during music practice.  Molly is in the middle standing next to Evan on her right...he nearly steals the show with his enthusiasm.  He cracked us up every day.  As you can see the kids and Molly were really into it.



Well, later that night, we finally put on the show for our families.  During one of the songs, she was accidentally bumped in the head by another little boy in her class, she lost her balance and then tumbled down a step.  She got right back up, a little heartbroken, embarrassed and a few tears shed...but she bucked up the courage to get back into the next song, motions and all.

She is on the far left side (of course) in a green dress standing next to a boy in a red shirt.  At about 27 seconds, she falls.  You can hear Dan's voice saying "Oh no..."  I was on the floor laughing because a child from my class, Megan front and center, who was singing so loud and strong.  I was just moving to the middle just when it happened and I didn't see Molly fall down, plus she got back up so fast.





To see her little crushed expression of humiliation broke our hearts as we were both unable to go to her to help her back up again.  She had to do it all by herself.  I don't know how many times a day she says "I can do it all by myself."  She's usually talking about getting dressed by herself, or putting away her plate, turning on a light, writing her name...but this was different.  Never has she had to find the strength to look at a church full of people, fall down and then get back up to sing and seem happy about it.




During a song with "I love you" sung with the arm motions, I saw she was upset, but at the time, had no idea what happened.  All I could do was to sing those words while looking directly at her and none of the other kids that I was helping to direct.  I gave her all the love I could send her with my eyes, and those words in sign language.

Our Molly Rose is a trouper, a brave little girl who did what she could to just get through the program.  We are so proud of how she carried herself...all by herself.

Molly and her teacher Miss Nanny

Kayla and Molly sipping their juice drinks.

Kayla is in her class this year and will be in Miss Judy's class with her in the fall too.

Molly and Kayla with Melina.

Melina will be in Kindergarten in the fall and Molly will miss her.

No comments: