Due to a bridge loan that we found we didn't need after all, things got complicated. Since the sale of our house in Albuquerque happened so quickly, there were issues in dealing with our relocation people about the loan. Without that added complication, things at the closing would have progressed much faster and smoother. It's as though they tried to complicate matters so we would have to pay interest in the week or two it would take to end it on their terms. They kept asking impossible questions and made us wait until so late in the evening for the final numbers! Everyone, including the lawyers had to wait so long for them. Well, luckily, we had all our information ready, so we were able to wipe that loan off in one day. We are grateful that we didn't have to use that "safety net" loan after all. In paying it off so quickly, we saved a ton of money in the long run. Everyone says these things are usually complex and time consuming, and we believe that. But we also can't help but wonder if we didn't have our helpful relo people involved, would it have been easier? We think so. It was a long day but worth the long hours and effort.
Here's Dan outside of the old converted building downtown that houses the law offices where our closing took place. "So, Dan, how do you feel? Can you believe this is the day the house becomes ours?"
So... long day and long story short, that house is finally ours! Now it's time to clean it up. That is a story unto itself! It sure looked good when the other people lived in it. In it's empty state, walking in there the first time on our own, it was a bit of a let down. How do we become so much better focused on our houses after we take on the financial burden as well? Signing our names to all those legal documents somehow made the imperfections in the house abundantly clear upon our return the next day. We have a ton and a half of work to do before the movers arrive with our furniture on the 26th.
Today, we spent the entire day cleaning every crevice we possibly could. We wiped the dusty baseboards, vacuumed every room, spent a long time cleaning the grody fridge and bacon encrusted microwave, dusted and cleaned the blinds in the living room and kitchen, I even had to vacuum out all the cabinets and cupboards. Dan clean and scoured all three bathrooms from top to bottom. While doing this, he happened to notice that several white walls upstairs are not painted at all! It's just the drywall texture. Oh my gosh! How did we not notice this before? We still have a long way to go.
There is currently no place to sit down except on the stairs, so I get tired fairly fast and have to take breaks to keep going all day. It's also very dull and quiet with no tv or radio, so I took the radio from the hotel to have for background music while we worked. I also brought some frozen dinners (& hotel utensils) and snacks for lunch.
Dan works tomorrow (Christmas Eve) and on Christmas Day too. I may take it easy here at the hotel for part of the day since we worked so hard today. I should mention that we also spent yesterday, the 22nd in Colonial Williamsburg. It was a very nice day - tiring to walk around so much, but still quite a nice day. I am still moving very slowly because of my strained right leg joint and increasing baby bump too. The combination of these two things makes me the slowest walking person everywhere we go. I feel like a little old lady sometimes. I hope I get back to my normal self someday in this lifetime.
I will post photos and tell more of our trip to Williamsburg tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment