Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

The eye doctor experience & new glasses.

A couple days ago, we went to Glen Allen to get out and enjoy the nice weather at our outdoor mall in the Short Pump area. After a terrible afternoon spent at the eye doctor's office last week...between the very long wait, being dilated in a very bright room and waiting again, Dan getting his eyes scratched and the headache that followed, having everyone in the waiting room staring at Molly and the smalltalk involved with having a baby..."how old is HE?", "he's a good sized baby," and so on. Uh, she's bedecked in pink...and she is a girl. Yo. But alas, they were friendly elderly folks so I let it go.

While we were trying to be patient, in that room with the supernova-like fluorescent lighting and the small talk, Dan and I spoke silently to each other with our tear filled, huge pupiled eyes, saying "We're NEVER coming back here again." To top it off, the assistant working with Dan was an idiot, thinking he was from Mexico, not New Mexico....going so far as to say to him: "Funny, your skin doesn't look like you're from Mexico, it's so light." What the....?

Meanwhile, across the hall and a blind world away from Dan and Molly, I sat for about 45 minutes, staring blearily at the most boring beige wall I'd ever not been able to see in my life. Suddenly "Dr. I'm gonna keep you waiting forever and not be sorry or tactful" came bursting into my blurry beige world causing me to exclaim "Holy Cow" to which he said, "So, you're the one with the weak left eye since birth?" Yes, I guess I am, and also I may have soiled myself since you burst in here like that you moron. But no, I said, "I guess that's me, yes."

I could tell in an instant I would not like this man. He looked like a kindly gray haired gentleman, but he was not. Once we got our exams done, we gathered up our things. Molly was tired and so were we, so we got out as fast as we could. Their glasses selection was minimal and way overpriced anyway. It was not a good experience at all.

Anyway, we went to a nice eye wear place and actually had a nice time browsing the vast array of glasses even letting Molly get in on the fun. Here she is wearing a pair of stylish pink Barbie glasses and then a more bookish pair where we think she looks like a future stock broker, accountant or librarian. She thought it was fun and smiled as we snapped photos. She's a good sport.





Here I am in the pair I selected. They should be ready to be picked up in a few days.

No comments: