Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Prenatal Specialist

This morning, we went to the prenatal specialist to get a 1st trimester screening and more bloodwork. We spent an hour or so talking with a woman who specialized in genetics and she worked up our family tree including all our siblings, their kids, our parents and grandparents and any great grandparents we could recall. We discussed any family traits and conditions that could be factors or things to watch for in our child. It was very interesting and she went over any tests we felt would be beneficial to answer any lingering questions or doubts. Most of this is due to my "advanced maternal age" or just being over age 35 in general. We're getting several tests done now and will hear back in about a week if there are any concerns. So far, everyone seems to feel we are going to have a perfectly normal and healthy baby. As for knowing if it's a boy or girl - we'll know that at the next visit, either here or at our new doctor in Richmond, once we get settled there.

I made appointments for this Nov. 1st and Nov. 27th, just in case I am still here - Dan will be gone for sure for his first day at work on Nov. 5th. We're not sure about my timetable for getting out there. More than likely, I'm going with him, at least I HOPE so. I'll cancel these appoinments if that's the case. Hopefully, we can find doctors and facilities and good as we've been lucky to find here in Albuquerque. I really like Dr. Garcia very much and this prenatal specialist office is wonderful too.

We got lots more photos of the baby today and they even gave us a CD so we can add to it later. They did a 4D image of the baby, which was very clear, especially when there was movement. The baby must have been in a mellow mood today, there was no "dancing" around like last week. It was great to hear that steady and strong little heartbeat on the speakers in the room. I think we both feel much better about the very positive chance, this little one will be normal and healthy.

Here are the photos:

No, that's not what you think it is...it's the cord.


No comments: